Development Team -
In recent years, referee shortages have become a critical issue across the country. Due to a lack of referees in all sports programs, these shortages have led to game postponements, cancellations and coaches having to step in and individually provide coverage for numerous youth sports games. In order to combat this ongoing problem, Methuen Soccer has been developing a training program for individuals 11 1⁄2 years of age or older to introduce refereeing for our lowest levels of youth soccer, the Under 6 age group of players. Similar to developing a soccer player, Methuen Soccer starts with the basic skills required to become efficient and successful in the game of soccer. We begin with general soccer rules, emphasizing player safety, using a whistle and building confidence while instructing players in the field. It is during this training period, the trainees are able to determine if refereeing is something they enjoy and would like to pursue in the future.
All age eligible youths interested in entering the Referee program, must e-mail the Methuen Soccer Development Director at [email protected], for placement availability and information.
The Grassroot Referee is the entry level of officiating for new referees ages 14 years or older. Once certified, Grassroot Referees are eligible to work in both recreational and competitive games for Youth or Adult Leagues and Tournaments, depending upon the age of the referee. Most games take place on Saturdays. Methuen Youth Soccer will reimburse 100% of the cost of the initial Grassroot Referee Certification course. The requirements for reimbursement are as follows:
- All individuals must successfully complete the course.
- All individuals must work a total of 8 games during a single season (ie. Fall or Spring) for ECYSA. Pay Stubs from ECYSA will be accepted as proof of employment.
After course and game requirements have been successfully completed, a referee license, receipt, and pay stubs must be submitted to Methuen Youth Soccer to receive course reimbursement.
Essex County Youth Soccer Referee Rates as of 03/20/23 - (please refer ecysa.org for more information)
G4 - $35 per game G6 - $40 per game G8 - $55 per game
New Grassroots Referee -
Entry Level Course
Below are the requirements to become a Grassroot Referee as of 03/20/23 - (please refer to massref.net for more information)
The US Soccer Entry-Level Grassroots Referee course will be led by a US Soccer Certified Instructor. The Grassroots Referee Course is in multiple parts. Students are required to complete the following:
- Online Study Modules (approximately 4-6 hours work). To allow for verification, the modules must be completed no later than 72 hours BEFORE classroom attendance. You will not be permitted to attend the live online class without this requirement completed.
- 2 Hours of Online class attendance with a live Instructor - Invitation via email one day before.
- In-person Field Session. This will require enrollment in one of the options TBA.
- An online test of The Laws of the Game - completed after class - with a passing grade of 80 or higher.
- US Soccer Supplemental Course: Introduction to Safe and Healthy Playing Environments (Intro to Safety) - Required for ALL. (Free)
- US Soccer Supplemental Course: SafeSport Training - Required Only for individuals 17 years or older. (Free)
- US Soccer Supplemental Course: Background Screening - Required Only for individuals 18 years or older. ($30)
For further information please click on the following link: How to Become a Referee at the Youth Levels.